My date with my favorite person started with a few rounds of shopping, dinner, and then to a concert I have anticipated for almost 20 years. The opening act by The Bravery was forgettable. Almost hurting to the ears that we both left our seats and had a few beers. The main attraction started with a magnificent display of production engineering at its best. The first beat of "Pain That I'm Used To" brought the audience to their feet and stayed there until the last note of the night. Their new album reminded me how dark yet original this band is. With all the imitators, there is not one out there like them. Their music and words are seamlessly in synch with the musicians. The new songs are a complete relief from the lesser appealing "Exciter" which was almost unnoticed in 2001. "Precious" how precious and "John the Revelator" proved that they still have what it takes.There are a few of songs on the "Playing the Angel" album that I wasn't too keen of, coincidentally, both were sung by Martin Gore. I guess my ears are just biased to Dave Gahan's voice. I almost cringed when Martin sang "Somebody" which is one of my favorite DM single. The old hits bought back fresh memories of old school hangout and escapades. "I Just Can't Get Enough" almost brought the house down but I stopped breathing for "Personal Jesus". This song is up there on my top 10 list. This is the first album that I bought and they sang it like it is the best song in synthetic music history. This made up for all the hits that they didn't play. The fans raved for two encores and stayed to applaud a few minutes longer than usual. For a band which is continuously recreating itself, they know that the alternative synthetic style is how they can bowl their fans over.
As Dennis drove us to the bar to meet our donors singing the wrong words and a terrible rendition of "Personal Jesus" I knew he enjoyed it as much as I did. Thanks Nic and Jen for the tickets! And thanks Steve for babysitting!
No comments:
Post a Comment