Saturday, August 27, 2005

Cause and Effect I - Death


I learned early that there is a reason for everything. I also learned that there is a loving God who listens to me. An older relative told me when I was a little girl that I am close to heaven, meaning God is so close he hears what is in my heart. Things happen to me, some good, and some bad. My life while borrowed from my children is an opportunity to give back to those who have given me so much. Each day is a celebration. Every tomorrow is an effect of what I do today. Each event is a cause for something greater. I may not completely understand, but with faith, I have peace of mind.

Fate has a funny way of working itself out. Looking into the future is tricky, yet looking back explains everything. My mother's death made me very bitter at nine years old. But this is why I am so close to my father, brothers and cousins. It made me realize how precious family and friends are. It also made me wiser with my decisions in life by always considering what would make her proud. Now being a mother myself, I want to have a relationship with my son I wish I would have had with her had she been alive. It is sad to hear some friends complain about their own mothers. Some even learn to hate. Once I asked a friend if she would trade mothers with me if she dislikes hers that bad. Had she said yes, she can have my dead mother.

Friends and family are assets that cannot be traded nor sold. Petty arguments and unnecessary bickering are wasted emotions. Pride and anger, both cardinal sins, make us easy targets. It destroys relationships and burn bridges. All the worldly wealth cannot buy us love, or even peace of mind. Usually, we do not realize what treasures we have until we lose those whom we love, family, friends and even enemies. It is only in death that we speak of their value. They are in our lives for a reason. Fate has a funny way of working itself out.

No comments: